East Riding Voluntary & Community Sector Safeguarding Adult Forum
November 23 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Safeguarding adult forums provide useful opportunities for providers and service users to give their view on different topics. They aim to raise awareness of adult safeguarding in communities by listening to people, providing information/updating and promoting best practice.
As part of its new service in this area of work ERVAS would like to develop a Safeguarding Adults forum in the East Riding for people working or volunteering with adults who may now, or at a some future time have the potential to be ‘Vulnerable Adults’. The forum would meet quarterly to raise awareness of adult safeguarding within the Voluntary Community Sector with the aim of listening to people, promoting best practice and feeding back to the Safeguarding Adults Board views and opinions.
The forum would need to develop terms of reference and will want to consider at an early stage how the voice of the service user will be effectively heard.
It is also important that we establish early if a forum should operate across the East Riding or would be more effective with local forums taking place in Bridlington, Beverley & Goole; in the first instance forums will be arranged in each location.
Whilst it will be for the forum to determine its agreed terms of reference the below points are just some suggestions that can be discussed at the first meeting.
- Act as champions for adult safeguarding in the Voluntary & Community Sector
- Promote good standards so that the risk of abuse & neglect is less
- Work with other groups to make sure everyone knows what they should be doing
- Ask people what they think about the adult safeguarding process
- Tell everyone about local & national adult safeguarding issues
- Think about what training people might need and help with delivery
- Work with partner agencies to find out what is needed to keep people safe