Independent charity Crimestoppers is working with The Gangmasters & Labour Abuse Authority (GLAA) to raise awareness of the different strands of Modern Day Slavery and Labour Exploitation.
Crimestoppers is a registered UK charity, providing an anonymous telephone line which offers a translation service in any language or an online form, all available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week – and both of which are 100% anonymous.
NorthEast Lincolnshire Council are inviting to share this information internally with your staff and volunteers to raise awareness in preparation for a public facing campaign happening later this year Posters supporting this internal awareness strand are available – if you are interested in receiving posters, please email MDS@Crimestoppers-uk.org
Modern Slavery Awareness
Modern Slavery is a global problem that is happening here on your doorstep. This includes human trafficking, forced labour, domestic servitude or debt bondage. Victims can be men, women or children of all ages and backgrounds, who are controlled by force, threats, coercion, abduction, fraud and deception. There are a number of signs but not all of these suggested indicators below will apply in every case, and some situations may not be immediately apparent:
- Show signs of injury, abuse and malnourishment
- Look unkempt, often in the same clothing and have poor hygiene
- Be under the control and influence of others
- Live in cramped, dirty, overcrowded accommodation
- Have no access to or control of their passport or identity documents
- Appear scared, avoid eye contact, and be untrusting .
- Be collected very early and/or returned late at night on a regular basis
- May have inappropriate clothing for the work they are performing, and/or a lack of safety equipment
More information about some of the labour exploitation sectors, as well as the opportunity to seek advice and/or report anonymously, is available on the Crimestoppers website