Downright Special is a charity which provides support to children with Down syndrome, their families and the professionals who work with them, across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire. Over the last 10 years they have supported over 100 children and their families to build a brighter future for childrenchildren. Over the next 10 years they aim to continue to deliver their priorities of education, support, advocacy and training to many other children and their families extending r support throughout their education.
As part of that they would like to involve more people in running the charity and shaping its future, and are currently looking for new trustees to join the board of trustees of Downright Special and are particularly keen for more parents to get involved.
Trustees are responsible for ensuring the effective running of the charity, making sure that it complies with all its statutory requirements and ensuring they are continually working to enable people with Down syndrome in Hull and East Yorkshire attain their full potential. Trustees are also responsible for developing the strategy for the charity, for maintaining financial controls and for promoting the charity.
The Parent Representative’s specific role is to ensure good communication between the trustees and parents, ensuring that they are continuing to deliver services that maximise the benefit to the families they support. In particular the parent trustee representative would be in involved in the support and advocacy priorities of the strategy.
- A passion for ensuring children with Down syndrome reach their full potential, fully included in all aspects of life
- IT literate and confident in the use of emails and MS Office applications such as Word and Excel.
- Good communication skills.
- Parent or carer of a child with Down syndrome.
- Attendance at monthly trustees meetings (usually Monday evenings)
- 2-4 hours a week of own time, worked flexibly and dependant on the individual’s own availability.
- Comply with the Charity Commission guidance for Trustees
How to apply
For more information please contact Gillian Bowlas on 07776 172477 or email Gillian@downrightspecial.co.uk