Would you like to get involved in helping to improve the lives of local children with Down Syndrome?
Downright Special is a charity which provides support to children with Down syndrome, their families and the professionals who work with them, across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire. Over the last 10 years they have supported over 70 children and their families to build a brighter future for their children. Over the next 10 years they aim to continue to deliver their priorities of education, support, advocacy and training to many other children and their families extending support throughout their education.
As part of that they would like to involve more people in running the charity and shaping its future. They are currently looking for new trustees to join the board of trustees of Downright Special and are interested in applications from people from a diverse range of professional backgrounds e.g. Education, HR, Law, Accounting, Finance, Marketing
Trustees are responsible for ensuring the effective running of the charity, making sure that it complies with all its statutory requirements and ensuring it is continually working to enable people with Down syndrome in Hull and East Yorkshire attain their full potential. Working closely with the Charity Manager, trustees are also responsible for developing the strategy for the charity, for maintaining financial controls, ensuring the charity has robust governance process in place, for promoting the charity and for making sure that it is working for the benefit of the children and families who are part of the Downright Special family.
- A passion for ensuring children with Down syndrome reach their full potential, fully included in all aspects of life
- Ability to challenge, interrogate data and provide support to the management team
- Good communication skills with an ability to contribute objectively to discussions and debate.
- Previous experience of involvement in the voluntary sector is not essential but would be an advantage
- Attendance at monthly trustees meetings (usually meetings take place on Monday evenings)
- 2-4 hours a week of own time, worked flexibly and dependant on the individual’s own availability. Comply with the Charity Commission guidance for Trustee’
How to apply
For more information please contact : Angela Broekhuizen (Interim Chairman) via email Angela@downrightspecial.co.uk or Gillian Bowlas (Charity Manager) on 07776 172477 or email Gillian@downrightspecial.co.uk